Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Can removing a hard drive damage the power cable/supply?

"The Slash" wrote in
ps.com:

I read somewhere that it is possible to damage the power cable and/or
power supply by removing the hard drive. Is this true? If so, how and
why? The reason I ask is because I think I might have damaged my own
power supply by doing so. Is there a way to tell for sure, and/or a way
to fix it if I did in fact damage it?

Sure, why not? It's possible.

A couple thinking points:
1. Sometimes those connectors are TIGHT, and it takes a lot of energy to
remove them.
2. Don't remove and plug in power cables with the PSU on. Even if you
don't screw it up, some reset when a sudden new load is added.
3. Any physical movement is a chance for failure.

Puckdropper