Roger Head

Default SCFM vs. CFM, also air flow/pressure across a regulator

"The thing people seem to be having trouble grasping is that CFM is a
measure of mass flow."

Hmmm, well.... CFM is volume/min, and per-se is not related to mass
flow. SCFM, on the other hand, indirectly specifies a mass flow because
the air is at STP.

Have a look at http://www.cleandryair.com/scfm_vs__icfm_vs__acfm.htm

Roger

Gary Coffman wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:41:46 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:

I am an electrical engineer and so I view things from that perspective. I
considered the issue of the regulator and essentially my analysis agrees with
Gary's 100%. I believe 2 things to be true:

1. Mass is conserved (what goes into the regulator must come out)
2. To first order, energy is conserved through the regulator

That's why I don't see why flow x pressure wouldn't be constant across a
regulator in steady state.

Postulate a big air tank pressurized to 180 psi, with a long (long enough so
the air has time to cool to ambient) pipe to an ideal regulator which regulates
the pressure down to 90 psi. The regulator's output is a pipe of the same size
which is connected to a constant load. The cfm going into the regulator is
measured to be 10 cfm @ 180 psi. What cfm will come out of the regulator at
90 psi?

10 CFM of course. As you note, mass is conserved, or as Kirchhoff's laws
tell us, current is everywhere the same in a series mesh. There is nowhere
else for the air to go. If it has a certain mass flow into the valve, it has to
have exactly the same mass flow out of it.

The thing people seem to be having trouble grasping is that CFM is a
measure of mass flow. This is pretty obvious for an incompressible liquid
like water, but for a gas, CFM has to be stated in terms of a standard
temperature and pressure. That's been defined by the standards bodies
to be 68 F and 1 atmosphere.

Gary