Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Washing machine basket rust - possible to fix, or buy new basket?

You will be spending almost half the value of a new unit. Baskets
are often well frozen onto a splined shaft and can be impossible
to remove. I think I would assure myself that I could get the
original basket to move before making the decision. You can
perform this experiment without taking the case apart.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sears has the basket for $89, local pickup at any Sears store.

The basket porcelain has a lifetime warranty, and they will
repair. The
visit, with labor, is between $110 and $140.

I found this site:
http://fixitnow.com/sbrvrs/washers.htm

It details how the Kenmore direct-drive cabinets are opened. I
am going
to pull the basket myself - this is an easy fix, now that I know
how to
open the thing up.

I will post with any future discoveries or problems. Thanks for
the
help everyone!