Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Getting 2nd coat of (Sadolin) woodstain to stick - any tips?

Simon Stroud wrote:
After putting it off for several years I finally got the urge to re-stain
the garage doors. So I spent a whole day last weekend sanding and then
washing down the rather old wood and previous finish. Then I applied the
first coat of Sadolin "Quick Drying Woodstain" (one of the water-based
ones). Unfortunately I didn't stir it enough so the first part of the tin
was very runny and the second much thicker, so one door is much better than
the other after one coat.

Today (i.e. 1 week later) I tried to apply a second coat (a new tin, and
stirred thoroughly this time - lesson learnt). However it seems that the
excellent water-repellent properties of the first coat make the second coat
all "shrink away" like trying to paint over a waxy surface. Not sure how I'm
ever going to get this second coat to stick properly! Anyway it started
raining and I had only done a bit so I scrubbed it all off and went indoors
to sulk.

Any tips on how to get it to stick? I've never seen another paint product
where you can't even put another coat on!

Thanks,
Simon.

Try rubbing down a small area with wire wool and white spirit. The wax
(or whatever the repellent is) should be soluble in that and, if so, the
wire wool will absorb it. The acrylic resin itself won't be soluble but
often the repellent is a separate ingredient that precipitates on to the
surface during drying,.
If that's even halfway successful, try rubbing the Sadolin on sparingly
with a rag till it "takes".
Stripping would be a last resort for me, and only if the doors were in
good condition. Otherwise I might paint them. A solvent based undercoat
might well dissolve the repellent without preparation.