Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
We've got a number of knives that live on the counter top. It's
driving me crazy, but I don't allow them in the drawers. Some are very
good knives, and very sharp. Do you guys have any interesting design
ideas I could scarf?

There seem to be pros and cons to having the knives racked on the wall,
or sticking out of a block.

Owen, I have built 2 knife racks for our set of knives. Many years ago I
built a 4 legged butcher block and built a knife rack that hung on the side
of the butcher block. I used old style screen window hangers to mount it to
the block. This make removal easy and simple. The knives were in single
file along the back side of the block.
The draw back is that we seldom moved the knife rack and ended up having to
walk to the butcher block each time we wanted to use the knives.

Later I built a counter top block that works well and is easily moved out of
the way when more room is needed or when you want to work elsewhere.

I do not recall having ever cleaned either block so keeping them clean is
not really an issue. The slots go all the way through on both knife blocks.
Also, we have never knocked it over.

I posted a pic on a.b.p.w.