Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Washing Machine Drain In Floor

"Doug" wrote in news:1153866792.769626.226160
@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi,
We just bought a house. It's an older house and the washing machine
drains right into a hole in the center of the floor. It appears that
sometimes that the water is taking longer to drain all the way through
so it's filling the area up where it's built to handle this and moving
on to other areas of the floor (and potentially going to cause water
problems with furniture and such in other areas in the basement).

Not sure of the right question to ask, but I'm curious as to whether or
not we could do something ourselves to maybe clean out the drain
(similiar to say using DrainO in a kitchen sink).

Also, roughly does anyone have any idea what kind of cost/time is
involved in making this so it doesn't drain into the floor but drains
underground some way?

In the center of the floor?!!! WTF??? I've seen that drain hole in the
middle of the floor but it's in case the washer leaks/overflows. Doesn't
trash everything. In addition the regular washer drain is in the wall.

Sounds like the regular wall drain got covered over for some reason.
Maybe it got clogged/leaked/whatever and they said screw it. Figure if it
isn't there, it isn't non-functional.