JMLATHE

Default Van Norman End Mill Questions

Walter - I've owned a VN#12 for about 6 years and have a good collection of
tooling, but no end mill holders. I've never seen one with the 5V taper and
I've looked. Apparently they either used collets to hold the smaller end mills,
or used end mills having the B&S #7 shank. I would not want to use collets for
driving larger end mills (1/2"+) or for heavy cuts because they will not hold
reliably and can ruin your work. However shell mill holders were apparently
popular, and I have found several sizes of these. Although you can still
occasionaly find them, they are usually pricy. One just sold on Ebay with a 1"
shank for $107. Ouch!
Good luck, John