Roy

Default Initial fill of new Propane tank fact or fiction on purge needed

Just what is involved with filling a new propane tank. I just bought a
brand new 100# tank. Took it to a gas supplier to get filled, and they
want a $25.00 initial fee supposedly to purge it..........what gives.
If its empty its empty. Its got the standard type of valve (OPD not
required on a 100# cylinder) so it can be opened and any air inside
can be vented to the atmosphere. Am I missing something here? Called
two others and they also said the tank needs to be purged since its
new.........I have bought new 20# and never had to have them purged .
I smell a rip off for some reason.

Maybe I just need to transfer some gas to give it a used smell into
this new cylinder and then act like its been filled before.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.