Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway reconditioning?

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article . com,
"joe" wrote:

I hear lots of talk about driveay sealers....which are essentially thin
and liquidy. Is there something else out there that is actual
"driveway tar" that could fill in all the holes and cuts that are too
small to use "cold patch" and too numerous to use the stuff in a caulk
gun.? In other words...is there something short of redoing the
driveway with an overlay that could recondition the surface?

Yes...take a visit to your hardware store, and look for blacktop
crack filler. The idea is that you first clean out these cracks
as good as you can. Then sweep the entire driveway. Next, fill
the cracks. Then apply the seal coat. If you waited too long
to apply seal coat, and the surface is dry and crumbles easily,
then you might be better off to get an overlay. That is were
they put down a new backtop surface of 1 to 2 inches over the
existing driveway.

My driveway resembles that remark. (The previous owner was the slothful one,
not me. ) However, in my case even a 1-inch overlay would create a ponding
problem at the garage apron, especially on the end where the front door
sidewalk starts. How do paving companies deal with that? Do they have baby
versions of the milling machines they use on streets so as to not bury the
curbs and storm drains, and to make the old work/new work transitions?

aem sends...