Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe 46erjoe is offline

Default Sump pumps and muddy water

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:41:00 GMT, 46erjoe
wrotF:

A house I'm trying to sell has a dirt basement with a stone wall
foundation (an old farmhouse). In wet weather water comes in and yes
I've done everything I canoutside to keep that from happening. My only
option is a sump pump I think. But the water that gets in is either
already muddy or gets dirty from the floor. Will sump pumps handle
muddy water or are they made only for clean water pumping?

Recommendation? I'm willing to pay megabucks for the right piece of
equipment.

My next option is dig a hole about 20 feet deep and cover it with a
grate ;-)

Thanks for all the responses. I feel like a submersible is the best
way to go for my situation.

I saw on ebay that there are a zillion brands. Is there one particular
brand that is superior? I've gone through two pumps already: A
pedestal which lasted 3 months and a submersible (bought at home deot
for $150) that lasted 6 months.

I do have a liner (poly). It is dry now and I can see a lot of dried
mud at the bottom.