Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default mixing plumbing fittings??

Olly D wrote:

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I want to add a few valves (Including
replacement of two valves in loft) My problem is that I'm nervous of
using compression fittings. As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

An unusual problem in that most novices start with compression fittings
but are scared of soldered ones! :-)

It's a bit of an odd solution; yes, the threads are the same and it
should probably work OK. However, for a start, notice that the end of
the ball valve fitting has a conical profile, designed to mate up with
an olive in a compression fitting; whereas the comparable end of a tap
is flat in profile, intended to but against the fibre washer which
you'll see inside your tap connector - ie, the seals are different.
That said, it should still seal OK, but IMHO it would be an unnecessary
bodge and also look ugly; furthermore you are introducing two extra
joints at every ball valve for no good reason.

Don't be scared of compression fittings; they are far easier than
soldering. Also easier to dismantle and try again in the unlikely event
of a leak (which anyway would only be likely to be a drip, rather than a
torrent!) Try googling this newsgroup for lots of tips.

David