Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default Wipe on poly -- wipe off stain?

I don't use poly much any more, but I "suspect"
that wiping poly contains a MUCH higher mixture
of poly and solvents which is how the wiping occurs.

This higher content of solvent is playing hell
with your prior staining.

I would learn how to spray shellac and mix colors
with the shellac. You get a beatiful finish and it's
really easy to deal with.

Get yourself a "Critter" and play with spraying
to find out how much better your finish can really be.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...190,43034&ap=1

This sprayer does NOT require a high end compressor and it
is a piece of cake to clean up.

Spray the stain/shellac mixture on your project and then

Richard Cranium wrote:
I have made a few projects from oak. The most recent projects I have
used Minwax stain and finished them with Minwax wipe on poly. I used
the wipe on poly primarily for the ease (at last for me) in achieving
a run-free finish on vertical surfaces.