Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default How to cut bricks?

According to dadiOH :
Walter R. wrote:
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut
starter bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks
along the short dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4"
thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick

Yes
_____________

and what kind of blade should I use?

For your quantity, go to a hardware store and buy a masonry blade for a
dollar or two. They are a bonded abrasive disc about 1/8" thick - sort of
like a thin grinding wheel. Cut outside, they throw lots of dust.

Buy two or even three. They wear out that fast.

You need some sort of backstop. Even a 1x2 screwed flat onto
a chunk of plywood will do.

The dust is hell on the circular saw's bearings. Don't do this with an
expensive wormdrive. A spraybottle with some water would probably
help. My cheap skilsaw has significant slop in its bearings now.

The scraping of the saw shoe on brick will make you cringe.

A dust mask is critical.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est