Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Wipe on poly -- wipe off stain?

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
I have made a few projects from oak. The most recent projects I have
used Minwax stain and finished them with Minwax wipe on poly. I used
the wipe on poly primarily for the ease (at last for me) in achieving
a run-free finish on vertical surfaces.

One problem I have is that when I wipe on the poly sometimes I wipe
OFF some of the stain. This occurs primarily on, but isn't limited
to, the edges. The stain was applied at least 24 hours earlier so I
know it was dry. The humidity was low because my shop is in the
basement and it's air conditioned.

Once I fix what I screwed up and get a uniform look with the first
coat I have no problem with the remaining coats of poly. Sometimes
it's a lot of work to get the first coat right.

What could I be doing wrong?

I know you have not had problems in the past but I don't use Miniwax
products because of this reason.
That said, if the stain was not properly wiped off and or if it was applied
too heavily you may be dissolving and removing the excess stain that did not
penetrate the wood.