Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default How to cut bricks?

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut starter
bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks along the short
dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4" thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick and what kind of
blade should I use?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I'm in the process of installing brick walks right now, around 2700 bricks
worth. I just finished a kiva style fireplace made from pumice brick and
fire brick. I bit the bullet and bought a Harbor Freight wet saw for
around $190. It has performed brilliantly and saved me a lot of headaches
so I think I've gotten my money's worth. That being said, for only 20
bricks, I wouldn't buy it. For 3500, it was a no brainer. You can get dry
blades for your circular saw that will work just fine. A wide chisel and
hammer will work as well for simple cuts. Just beware, brick will create a
lot of dust being cut dry so anticipate cleaning your saw thoroughly
afterwards. As well, they contain silica dust when cut dry so you really
should wear a mask.
Cheers,
cc