Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Floor Joist Beam Spans

James wrote:
This place is so remote, they have never heard of a building inspector.

Then build anything you want and watch and see if it collapses. However, I
don't know of any place in the western world where building codes don't apply.
BTW - your insurance agent may have something to say about this, too.

And yes, I will have 36 inch depth, 12 inch wide poured footings around
the perimeter of the garage.

Which means nothing without knowing what the soil is like.

BTW 2x10 would not be legal for that kind of span as a _floor_ where I live.
Without checking, I don't think 2x12 would work either - 2x14 sounds about right.

Mike