Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC is offline

Default Floor Joist Beam Spans

I plan to use the loft only for very light storage, but these "load"
figures seem very low to me. But, once again, I have "felt" what a 16
ft span using 2 x 10's feels like, and it seems very sturdy to me.

As a theoretical matter, to maximize span for a given floor thickness
the entire floor structure should be designed as an engineered
structure, with sub-flooring, fasteners schedules, adhesives,
dimensional and engineered members, etc. specified together. By
adjusting these variables a structural engineer can spec designs for
residential floor spans of 3O'+ using readily available components.

As *practical matter*, my first question would be: "What does the
local building department require?". Your question may be answered
right there, and there might be some surprises - for example since you
now have a load bearing second floor, you may find substantial footings
are required below the exterior walls.

My second question, if you are permitted to build as you please, would
be "What is a reasonable design criteria considering the loads that
might reasonably be placed on the floor by subsequent owners?"-
keeping in mind that they may stack old newspapers up there...

Once you know those numbers (load sq/ft and allowable deflection), as
specified by local code or derived by common sense, you are ready to
start thinking about materials and techniques.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom