Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Gable Mounted Attic Fans

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

Since we do not have the room in our attic [or our hallway] to mount
a whole house fan, we have decieded that we should go with one of
these fans. Since we are doing this ourselves and very new to this,
we are asking for your help, please! Today, we are about 104 degrees
by our outdoor thermometer.

Our home faces north. As a consequence the east side of the house
gets the sun first. We have two static attic vents, one at each end
of the home as well as several vents at the eaves. So here are my
questions:

[here's the link]
http://www.bvc.com/products/cool/gablemount/cx1600.html

When we mount one of these attic fans should we place it on the east
end of the house, bringing in cool air from the west side of the
house, or should we mount the fan on the west side of the house,
thereby exhausting the hot air already in the attic?

By the way, they have a 2.1 amp PSC attic fan that really sounds
great. However, what does "PSC" mean.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Norm & Loretta

Do you want to use this as a whole house fan or just an attic fan
to try
and reduce the heat in an unoccupied attic?

If the first, you have the wrong fan and it will do very little.
If the
second I suggest that proper passive (no fans) venting is usually far
better as there is little difference in real results of a active or
passive system, assuming they were both well designed and the passive
is maintenance free, energy free and silent.

Hey Joseph:

I don't understand how a fan would not be better. Moving 1600 cfm of
super heated air from an attic has got to help. I'll agree it isn't going
to drop the indoor temp 5 deg but moving 1600 (or even 1200 accounting
for inefficiencies) has got to be a good thing for at least the shingles.