Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster chuckster is offline

Default Using auto painting shop to paint your kitchen cabinets

Automotive paint is for cars. (period) It is very brittle and will chip
if used on wood. I refinish pinball playfields and some guys perfer
automotive clear because it dries real quick and has a deep finish,
however, it will get spider web stress cracks and chip, if not properly
done and mixed. I use water based poly with superior results, but it
takes days for this stuff to dry before I can sand it, but this stuff
is durable. With all the types of paint on the market I am sure you can
find a paint that will suit your needs. I am not a "paint guru" but
polys and epoxies are super strong, durable and work well on wood. If
you have metal cabinets you can find a real professional painter/metal
refinisher to do a spray on electro static paint job that will look
better than factory. I have seen them refinish lab cabinets that look
like a factory finish and they do them in place, with zip over spray.

J. Clarke wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

baking2000 wrote:
Has anyone heard of anything like this? Can you take kitchen cabinets
to an auto paint shop and have them paint your cabinets? This is a
serious question!

The materials they work with would not be the best for doing kitchen
cabinets. The equipment may not be the best either. In any case I
suggest that you find a shop that does cabinets.

For some reason I'm thinking that polyurethane clearcoat would be a superb
finish for kitchen cabinets--using an automotive shop addresses the big
objection to using a 2K polyurethane, which is the specialized equipment
required to do it without wasting a huge amount of expensive coating.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate