Posted to alt.home.repair
David Efflandt David Efflandt is offline

Default Disposals compatible with septic systems?

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, wrote:
We believe the seller of the house we have had a disposal but there is
none in the sink now. Are there negatives or pitfalls combining the
two? Our son and DIL have the combination and haven't reported
problems but I guess a "second opinion" could benefit us. Thoughts
welcomed.

I would suggest composting instead. Our county was selling compost bins
for $15 or $20 a couple of years ago. Meat scraps or anything fatty
should go in the garbage. But any vegetable matter, yard waste, egg
shells, teabags, coffee grounds, etc. can be composted.

I don't think we ever had to pump the septic system at my parent's
cottage, but it was just used seasonally for human waste, dishwater, and
shower water.