Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default How can I cool my loft?

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:37:09 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets?

Because it is too hot?

Could you not open the windows?

One could, it makes very little difference however.

Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators.

Not it won't, if the house is reasonably well insulated and has
reasonable solar gain the upstairs is going to be too hot in summer.
There are numerous greeny house is Milton Keynes and Oxford which are
abandoned in summer because they are unbearable.

designed into all houses, by many builders appear ignorant of it.

How old do you think the house is?

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of some
heat upstairs?

The loft should have suitable ventilation. If it doesn't then I
would be worried about rot.

Suitable and adequate loft ventilation to prevent rot will have
almost zero effect upon temperature in the loft.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/