Posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004 mentalguy2004 is offline

Default How can I cool my loft?

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:19:24 GMT someone who may be "mentalguy2004"
wrote this:-

I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house
hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs
is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows?

Ummm, because it's too hot and opening the windows doesn't help.

Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators. This sort of passive ventilation should be
designed into all houses, by many builders appear ignorant of it.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so
does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of
some
heat upstairs?

The loft should have suitable ventilation. If it doesn't then I
would be worried about rot. There are plenty of descriptions of loft
ventilation on the web.

Thanks.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh