Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:47:15 +0100 Tim Lamb wrote :
I suspect there is some doubtful thinking when a government minister
pontificates about how many power stations could be switched off if only
we would stop leaving electronic equipment on standby. I'll bet they
have forgotten that energy *wasted* is actually reducing space heating
requirements during the Winter.

It is, but for a lot of the time you don't have the heating on, and,
secondly, heat from electricity is reckoned to create twice the CO2 per kWh
that mains gas does.

Right. You are tightening up on factual precision but failing to make
good sound bites for politicians. You could include *no standby waste*
when kit is in use.

If they were serious surely legislation could prohibit the sale of
equipment fitted with standby mode. Otherwise it is waste verbiage.

regards
--
Tim Lamb