Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Derek ^ wrote:

and forgot to factor in the energy used in going round switching stuff
on and off all the time.

Or the diminution of the service life of the tubes, along with the
consequent below -par performance until they are replaced.

Surely energy-saving bulbs would last longer?

I must say, I was surprised to read somewhere
that 20% of electricity output is used in lighting.
That certainly suggests to me that wider use of energy-saving bulbs
would have a significant effect.

As would simply eliminating 90% of street lights and all the other light
pollution.

I would have thought governments should subsidize these bulbs,
if they are seriously interested in keeping their Kyoto promises.