Posted to uk.d-i-y
JustMe

Default Removing 100 years of dust & soot from attic

In my attic is an accumlation of 100 years of dust and soot - the kind of
stuff that you don't want to get in contact with anything else cos it'll
stick to everything and keep you cleaning up every nook and cranny, forever.
It's trapped beneath and over the fibre insulation which rests between the
joists, on to which is affixed a lattice+plaster ceiling from below. I
figure I'll need to remove and bag up the insulation for the bin and then
clean out the dust from the lattice and the joists before laying new
insulation.

I've been trying to work out a way of effectively cleaning the dust up
without fouling up the rest of the house. I've hired an industrial cleaner
from HSS which was OKish for part of the job, but I found it worked no
better than a Henry (losing suction very quickly), it just had a larger
capacity. Further it's too big to access most of the space that needs
cleaning. Also the bags kept bursting/tearing, which meant I had to use a
second vacuum cleaner to clean up the first and that didn't keep the dust
under control to the degree I wanted.

I know it's a tall order, but is there a solution that will provide me with
a long hose (minimum 10 metres from main unit if no larger than an HSS
"medium duty" vacuum cleaner, or longer otherwise) through which I can
extract (vacuum) a heavy accumlation of dust (it's up to 10cms thick in
places), along with occasional loose lumps of plaster from the lattice,
whilst keeping that dust sealed up and contained for easy disposal, without
having to do messy bag empties every five minutes. I don't mind spending to
get this done right, so long as that buys me a solution that will keep the
dust contained, once it's lifted.

Otherwise, what professional/industrial cleaning service should I be
seeking?

TIA.