Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message .com,
naffer writes
Interesting mail/press item today which suggested that wholesale
changing to energy efficient lamps would save about the same/more as
all the windmills that we have (or could have?) Did they add in tidal,
too?

... and their saving would be 24/7 not just when the wind blows.

Perhaps, it's not so sexy having to go to the shop and buy new lamps

er.. they are only going to *save* energy when you need them switched
on.

I suspect there is some doubtful thinking when a government minister
pontificates about how many power stations could be switched off if
only we would stop leaving electronic equipment on standby. I'll bet
they have forgotten that energy *wasted* is actually reducing space
heating requirements during the Winter.

And then when someone suggests that shops shouldn't keep their lights on
all night, they get attacked as it "reduces their competitive edge"

Don't get me started on office blocks

--
geoff