Posted to rec.woodworking
the_tool_man

Default Substitute for Red Devil lye?

Hi Wes:

I just went to my local Ace this morning. I was told that Ace no
longer carries Red Devil lye because it is used in the manufacture of
methamphetamine. I guess that's why I can't find it anywhere.

Wes Stewart wrote:
On 29 Jun 2006 08:52:38 -0700, "the_tool_man"
wrote:

Hi all:

I'm gearing up for my first major project with cherry. An associate of
mine recommended using a lye solution to darken the wood. After some
research, I'd like to try it. However, I've found that Red Devil lye
is no longer sold locally. I've found a few leads through candlemaking
websites, but they require me to purchase 30lb of the stuff. I just
want a little to experiment with. Are there any other brands to look
for? My local searches have yeilded nothing that is pure sodium
hydroxide, and I'm reluctant to use anything that has "other stuff" in
it. Any help would be appreciated.

I've bought it at Ace Hardware.