Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Default Redwood Deck

Corinne wrote:
I purchased a seven year old home a year ago.

Yesterday I finished re-sanding the entire deck.

Has anyone ever used CWF Clear Wood Finish? I am wondering if this is a
good route to go. My neighbor did his deck with this finish, and it
looks beautiful, and is not tacky like Olypic Stain can be. He recently
did this, so I have no idea what it will look like a year from now.

This group is so knowledgeable, that I thought I would post for help again.

TIA,

Corinne

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...07_eng_dec.htm

Consumer Reports testers found that Cabot Decking Stain 1480, an alkyd
that cleans up with solvent, and Cabot Solid Color 1880, a latex that
cleans up with water, are both outstanding opaque treatments that
topped the Ratings. Both prevented color change as well as resisted
dirt and mildew, but the Cabot Solid Color 1880 excelled in cracking
prevention. In addition, the Wolman DuraStain 18146 is the best
semitransparent stain for wood worth showing off. While it's an alkyd
like the Cabot, it also cleans up with water.

For homeowners interested in having the most natural look, CR deemed
the clear Olympic WaterGuard 55560, a latex that cleans up with water,
as the best and only choice.

July 2006 issue.