Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y
know code

Default Etiquette and Top-Posting

John Jonas Jameson wrote:

Dave X wrote:
Top-posting is a means of showing courtesy to other
NG users by replying to them when you have something
to contribute.

And so is bottom-posting. There's nothing to choose
between them, apart from personal preference.

RFC1855 (A "Request For Comments" and _NOT_ a
book of rules) states that top-posting is the preference
of the author, but that it is not a hard and fast rule.

Idiotic top-posting corrected.....

I agree that RFC1855 is not a rule book, but the title is "RFC 1855 -
Netiquette Guidelines" and has been accepted by the internet community.
By not complying with these guidelines you are clearly showing
contempt for those accepted guidelines and all other internet users.

Anyway, I guess you must read a different RFC to the one I read! At
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html it clearly states in section
"3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews"..... "If you
are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the
original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the
original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when
they start to read your response".

That clearly states that bottom posting is the accepted standard!