Posted to rec.woodworking
Arvid

Default Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and
bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
news:6_udnTxoD_2EKQDZnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me
when I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has
sentimental value, I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out
of the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Well... when I was checking out original Shaker chests of drawers pretty
much every one of them smelled like moth balls... If you put moth balls in
the chest you could "sell" that as a historical feature. ;~)

John