Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Well/pump won't hold prime

Gus Schick wrote:
My lawn irrigation system is fed by a well. The pump will not hold a prime
overnight. Works fine once I get it primed, but that's a hassle. A pump
man replaced the check valve but that didn't do the trick. He says the
problem must be in the well pipe and he's pretty much washed his hands of
the problem. He pooh-poohs the idea that the pump itself could have
anything to do with the problem, he says it has to on the well side of the
check valve. Could it be the pump? and if not what would cause the system
to lose its prime?

Please email direct to

As others have said. You either have a leaking footvalve or a leak in
the pipe. The bad news is that you will have to pull the pump to fix
it.

Harry K