Posted to rec.woodworking
Jock

Default Buffing Polyurethane

mac,
I have one coat on, still drying because it's quite cold here at present.
I finish sanded with 400 on my random orbital, I will probably go the fine
sand (600 or better) between coats and reapply the poly till a deep finish
is achieved.
I turned some Mulga ( an aussie desert type hardwood) for a chisel handle
and sanded it then put the pure beeswax into it on the lathe then used a
piece of western red cedar as a friction block melting the wax into the
spinning piece. With a buff to finish it (a dry cloth) it came up with an
amazing lustre.
I only have sanders to use on this shelf project, not anything more tooly
than a lambswool pad on the r/o sander so I will persevere with this new
info..
Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.
Jock
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:56:07 GMT, "Jock"
wrote:

hey,
I am doing a shelf in Cypress Pine, I want a nice (really) nice smooth
finish. With a lambswool pad on the random orbital sander, do I need
anything as a buffing agent?? I have never gone for this level of finish
before and would appreciate a word on the best ay to achieve something
other
than disaster.
thanks,
Jock

Confusing point here... have you put poly on it already??

If not, I'd sand it to 600 or so and then go over it with a polisher like
ultra
sheen or something... that brings it up to maybe 2400 grit...
Then buff the heck out of it, with a good 3 wheel system like the Beall,
if
possible.. YMWV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis