Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Neighbor disputes my property line location

On 21 Jun 2006 16:05:25 -0700, "
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
Any advise?

Decide which you value more, a happy neighbor, or your
property. You're not going to get both.

That is NUTS. Would you give away 9 feet of your
property to your neighbor? I doubt it.

I might, depending on the property in question, and
whether the neighbor in question ****es me off.

I say build the fence, 6 feet high, move his car yourself,
and if the neighbor wants to sue let him.

Once he realizes he can't intimidate you he will cool off.

After you check and make sure the land is yours and if he refuses to
move the car - see if you can have the car towed.

I have doubts about pushing it back on his property beffore he has
agreed to it, but this is just crazy. It's his car, and you are
recommending the OP snatch it. They will always be enemies if he does
this.

You can claim it was
abandoned on your property.

He can claim all he wants, but it's not abandoned. His neighbor
believes that it is on his property, and iiuc, half of it is.

If the former owner was paying his taxes
properly and he must have been or you would have found out at the
closing, the neighbor has not been paying taxes on that piece of land.

The neigbhor doesn't know that. So it doesn't matter.

It might matter with regard to adverse possession, but I don't think
there is much chance that the nbor has gained adverse possession.
There are a lot of requirements, and the OP should see the entire
florida statute, plus all the case decisions that follow from it. If
there is a public law library, or the book is at the public library,
he should read the Florida Annotated Code, but even there, he'll only
find a tiny summary of each case decision, and it may be hard to read
in the strange language they sometimes use.

Www.findlaw.com has statutes and for many states, a decent way to find
the rirght statute, but as far as I know, it has no case law.

Nexus/Lexis has case law, but it's hard to find that for free.

You can verify it with property appraiser's office. I am in Pinellas
Co. FL and the property appraiser here has a web site showing who owns
what. Check the Dade Co. web site and see if you can find out anything
online.

The hard part is convincing the neighbor. I don't know how much
surveys cost or if the neighbor will want a full survey or only a
surveyor to review the OP's survey. Rather than or in addition to the
dinners, the OP might agree to pay for half of the neighbor's expense
on this. Of course he's not entitled to that, but the goal is to be on
good terms with someone he might spend 40 years living next to.

The OP may wish to aks on misc.legal.moderated and for more general
info on adverse possession IMO, groups google this ng in the past two
weeks on the word "eunuch".