Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing HW Cylinder connector insert

Dear All,

Not posted for a long while but still read the new threads most days.

I have a problem...at the top of my indirect vented HW cylinder is
the 22mm outlet pipe leading to the various HW taps in the house.
The cylinder has a 1"BSP female thread in the copper with a brass
insert to convert to a 22mm compression fitting.

I would like to install a Surrey flange in this location and would like

to remove the brass insert. But it doesnt want to be shifted
without distorting the cylinder (already done this and fixed without
splitting the cylinder). The cylinder was full of water for additional
support during this attempt at removal.

Is this a removable insert or is it part of the cylinder installed at
manufacture and not designed to be removed? If it is removable
any ideas on releasing the thread? Heat/plus gas etc? (The cylinder is
coated in insulating foam if this is important).

The Surrey flange has a 1"BSP male thread to install in the top of
the cylinder and a female 1"BSP thread in the top of the flange to
take the reinstalled insert from the cylinder.

regards

Ian L