Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Default 2x3 vs 2x4

Rudy wrote:

I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle
and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They've always been out there..just not in demand

Major utility has been in furring out basement walls for insulation, with
some non-load-bearing use--just pulled down the plaster in the bathroom on
a late '60s house and found that the studs on the non-load-bearing wall
were 2x3 while the ones on the adjacent load-bearing wall were 2x4.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate