Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default How to recharge new NiCad battery

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message .. .
"Dan K" wrote in
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

Your getting a bunch of different answers, so here's mine: Its been
my experience that store bought chargers have one object in mind, to
charge the battery fast.

Which is best for them.
Those slow chargers don't measure battery temp or any parameter;they are
just current sources,and can overcharge or undercharge your battery
pack.Uusally overcharging them,shortening their life.

I have read that fast charging definately costs battery life. You are right that uncontrolled
cheap slow chargers can damage the batteries. A quality "slow" charger should be best in my
understanding.

Bob