Gunner

Default SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:47:51 GMT, Carl Byrns
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:50:49 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'd be curious what Minnesota had that year. All the snow fall numbers and
temperatures sound pretty typical events for the north county.

I got a video somewhere of me running a good size snowblower on the barn
roof, no sidewalls on the barn, the snow was that high. Keeping my driveway
open that year was a piece of cake though. I've got a two stage blower that
goes on a 60+ horse tractor. We did get our township declared a federal
disaster area that year because of all the snow removal costs. We had one
township road with a 16 foot snowdrift clear across it. Had to get the
payloaders out every time the wind blew.

As to temperatures, 20 below ain't worth mentioning up here. Now I do
remember the 40 below days. I've only seen 50 below once and I had to get my
car, left outside, running. My nose kept freezing shut, I don't know what
they do in Alaska to solve this problem.

Karl

I live in Central New York and a guy I used to work with has a picture
of himself standing in front of his one-story house after a heavy
snowfall. Except it's a two story house- he and his wife had to crawl
out a second story window.

I was in Minnesota in the fall once and remember that -20 was no big
deal.

Methinks some survivalists are creampuffs (no offense to Gunner).

-Carl

Chuckle..I grew up in Northern Michigan..way up on Lake Superior...I
know a bit about snow. One of the first pictures of me, is of a tiny
version of me all swaddled up, held in my mothers arms as she sits on
the peak of the house ( 2 1/2 story)

I have regularly worked in -40F with a 40+ mph wind. (its a LOT of fun
replacing a blown carrier bearing on a F300 mounted drill rig when its
that cold....)

The article I posted is about what is called a Super Winter, one that
happens every hundred years or so..which we are over due for.
The evidence of them historically make the worst winter anyone of us
can remember..sorta balmy.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith