Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default One for the wrinklies - BSA Top tube shifter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I did ask over in rec.bicycles.tech, but got only one reply......

Does anyone here remember what the internals of a BSA top tube shifter
should be like?

That is to say a BSA manufactured (and possibly designed) gear shifter
which attaches to the top tube of a bicycle to control a 3 speed
Sturmey Archer type hub?

I am trying to get one working, but it looks as though someone has been
in there before me.

Most bits seem to be there exceprt for the bit that the cable attaches
to. It looks like i'll have to make something, but if any of you with
long memories can remember what the original was like, it would help.

Picture is at

http://static.flickr.com/57/167561522_47c2457931_m.jpg

The oblong bit with 2 holes on the right of the lever is I think a
previous owners attempt to make up something to attach the cable. The
item on the right is the cover plate that goes on the outside of the
lever, I imagine that it would have been possible to change a cable
using the access hole in this.

The end of the cable and the nipple are at the left and from the way
the cable (run bare without an outer) is routed on the frame, if it
were to run horizontal it would come in at the top of the half moon
shaped plate. This would be no good, so I assume it actualy runs
downwards Hmm.... it's not obvious from the picture, but the cable
entry is only from about
8.30 - 6.30 (if you think of the half moon plate as the bottom of a
clock face.

Anyways, i've burbled enough.

All (polite, non injurious, and physically possible) sugestions
welcome.

Buy new he http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com/

Cic.