Tony Hursh

Default SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:50:49 +0000, Karl Townsend wrote:

My nose kept freezing shut, I don't know what
they do in Alaska to solve this problem.

Someone else mentioned dipstick heaters. Many Alaskans also have so-called
"headbolt heaters" that are basically heated water pumps that you splice
into your engine coolant system. You just plug in your car when you park
it. Most homes and businesses have electric outlets next to the parking
area specifically for this purpose.

Up on the North Slope, the oil companies typically leave trucks and
equipment running 7/24 in the winter.

-- Tony (former Alaskan, currently living in the subtropical regions of
Illinois :-)