XPRTEC

Default SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER

Big snip.......

I've only seen 50 below once and I had to get mycar, left outside, running. My

nose kept freezing shut, I don't know what they do in Alaska to solve this
problem.

Karl
-------------------
Well Karl I lived next door to a Military man stationed in Alaska for 4 years
and he said they did several things to their cars in the winter.

They use dipstick oil heaters and lights mounted to a board to slide under the
engine to heat the oil pan when it wasn't too cold out. When it got colder,
they usually set the idle a little higher and left the engine run all the time!
The usually drilled a hole in the carburetor cover while off the car, and
stuck duct tape over the hole. When they went to start car, they would get
engine turning over while somebody else shot starting fluid down the hole. The
they taped it back up.

In lower Michigan in 1978, we had a doozy of a snowstorm and 80 mph winds. My
wife got me out'a bed to help her open the kitchen door which was two concrete
steps higher off the ground.

I pulled the curtain back to see only a little hole throught the snow on the
window! I yelled for her to call the Police somebody had stolen our two cars!
When I tried to open the door it wouldn't budge. My garage wasnt connected to
house so there was an opening that the wind blew through about 7 feet of snow.
The cars were under that snow!!

An interestesting aside they didn't plow our road for nearly a week.
Snowmobilers got out and brought back milk and other things for my wife which
was very pregnant at the time.. An interesting thing happened.... as we could
look out our back windows and see the snowplows with V blades being pushed at
HIGH speed by big military vehicles to clear the snow which in drifts was very
high. Well you can imagine, cars under the snow that ran out of gas when they
got stuck luckily were abandoned, and the V shaped snow plow and pusher truck
just split the car into two!!!! Nobody was hurt, but it prompted the road
crews to change to huge truck mounted snow blowers and wait till the winds died
down. They then went went through after somebody led them and put bright
flags to designate cars covered with snow!
Worse snow storm I was ever in.
Jim