Karl Townsend

Default SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER

I'd be curious what Minnesota had that year. All the snow fall numbers and
temperatures sound pretty typical events for the north county.

I got a video somewhere of me running a good size snowblower on the barn
roof, no sidewalls on the barn, the snow was that high. Keeping my driveway
open that year was a piece of cake though. I've got a two stage blower that
goes on a 60+ horse tractor. We did get our township declared a federal
disaster area that year because of all the snow removal costs. We had one
township road with a 16 foot snowdrift clear across it. Had to get the
payloaders out every time the wind blew.

As to temperatures, 20 below ain't worth mentioning up here. Now I do
remember the 40 below days. I've only seen 50 below once and I had to get my
car, left outside, running. My nose kept freezing shut, I don't know what
they do in Alaska to solve this problem.

Karl