Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pump won't stop running

A couple of weeks ago, my stepson attached two hoses to the faucets
connected to the water pump. When he was done, he turned off the hose
that had water coming out freely but did not turn off the hose that had
a sprayer on it so no water came out. Apparently the pump ran all
night and developed leaks at the insertion points of the two pipes
connected to the well.

I replaced both pipes and when I turn the power on to the pump I get
excellent pressure to the faucets and the water pressure gauge between
the pump and the tank goes from 0 to about 40.

The problem is that no water is getting any of the sprinkler heads and
the pump will not stop running. After replacing the pipes and letting
the pipe cement set, I tested the sprinklers and they ran fine
(although the pump still would not shut off). I only tested for a
minute or so because we are under a water restriction and it was in the
middle of the day. When I was able to water, I turned on the pump and
sprinklers but nothing happened. The pump is continuously running but
the sprinklers are not working.

Do I need a new pump? Is there a way to fix it? I am pretty much
learning everything as I go along and this was my first PVC pipe repair
job. Any thoughts?.