Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Hansgrohe Shower Head: Removing flow restrictor

Ok, this subject has come and gone repeatedly in various forms. In my case
it is the Hansgrohe Turboł massage.

Here's the thing----I do not want the 2.5 GPM restrictor in place. Don't
ask me why. Thing is----I'm not quite sure just which part it is. Is the
US government requiring that they get craftier and craftier?

The component that mounts onto the showerarm and holds the handle is itself
a ball joint that comes apart. Once I did this, there are two plastic items
in each side, both of which I removed out of black-helicopter clinical
paranoia.

The first one is a small cylinder with a plunger inside that can slide up
and down and is spring fed. It looks like it is something to shut off the
water when the flow amount gets too low. Is this to stop the trickle effect
when it is shut off? Whatever it is, it's history.

The second plastic piece looks much like a typical insert screen, except
that it has a 1/4" diameter small rubber O-ring dead center in it that would
only restrict water flow. Hucked that one out too.

Also, there is a plastic screen at the very outset: right in between the
shower arm and the shower arm mount. This one confuses me: It looks like a
very restrictive screen---all plastic with very *very* small holes. Yet
having it in and taking it out seem to do nothing to the water flow---I'll
need to experiment more on that one, but I left it in for now.

Finally the handle itself has a water hole opening that is substantially
smaller than the bore of anything leading up to it. Is it possible that
/this alone/ is the 2.5 GPM restrictor---a silly little hole? I may just
drill the thing larger out of principal alone

Thanks

--
Sometimes life just sucks and then you live.