Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Default Creating a Circuit Diagram from a PC Board

Jeff Liebermann writes:

Hamad bin Turki Salami hath
wroth:

On Thu, 25 May 2006 05:11:12 -0700, rubenz1967 wrote:

A flatbed scanner instead of a camera might work better, consistent
scaling.

Isn't there a problem with static on a flatbed?

No. Methinks you're thinking of a non-flatbed scanner such as one of
the multi-malfunction desktop printer/scanner/fax/modem/shredder
combinations. The ones with rubber rollers or sheet feeders might
create a static charge, but always have brushes at the paper exit
slots to remove the charge. Besides, I wouldn't want to run a
populated circuit board between the rollers anyway. Crunch.

Drivel: Long ago, one of my products was in the prototype stage when
marketeering decided to stop everything so that they could take some
pictures. The boards were carefully sent to a photographer, who took
numerous photographs under the bright studio lights. When I got the
boards back, they were all dead. All the (2716) EPROM's had been
partially erased. I don't think a flat bed scanner will do the same
thing, but I wouldn't want to find out.

The typical flatbed scanner just uses a bright fluorscent lamp so shouldn't
have any effect on erasable programmable parts.

I used to use an HP scanner for all the photos of reasonably planar circuit
boards in the FAQs and still do. The resolution and perfect geometry are
amazing for such inexpensive technology!