Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Asbestos in carpet adhesive

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a home built in 1970, and decided to remove some
old carpet from the stairs to uncover the hardwood underneath. When I
removed the carpet and the carpet padding, there was a hard yellow
substance stuck to the stairs with a very thin white material on top of
it. I am assuming this is adhesive, but I am not sure. My question
is, can this contain asbestos? I want to remove it, and the material
is crumbling a bit and can be scrapped off, but I am hesitant in case
it might be hazardous in some way. Does anyone know if this is/could
be adhesive and if it might possibly contain asbestos?

Thanks!

Not unless it was stuck to asbestos containg floor material like really old
tiles and that was breaking up. If it is dried out and degrading becoming
dust, then wear a mask or respirator anyway.

Sounds like you have some sanding to do also, get something with a dust
pickup and connect it to a vacuume while sanding.