Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default run car on moonshine

Jim Stewart wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car will
run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the shop
warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn burner
boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200 proof
VBG

I believe you'll need a federal license and
custody controls as well.

Yep. There are people doing it so it's not an insurmountable obstacle
though. Since you wouldn't get the various subsidies and tax breaks the
big ethanol producers get I'm pretty sure you'd have to be growing the
feed stock yourself on your own Ag tax exempted land in order to get a
price point cheaper than the local gas station.

You'd have an easier time going the biodiesel route I think.

Pete C.