Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

Default Interview for a machine shop position

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Robert Swinney says...
Yeah! Because a sweatshop by any other name is still . . . . a sweatshop.

Whatever job you end up taking, get *all* points of interest in writing.
Randy

Not for nothing, but that (requiring terms in writing) is the quickest
way to not get hired. Granted in this case it's a good litmus test,
but employers and managers get really, really, antsy whenever they
have to promise an employee something in writing.

They get worried that they might be held to it, and won't be able
to change their mind whenever they feel like it in the future.
Bosses hate that.

Another issue with the idea is, even if they *do* put a promise
in writing, it won't be worth much. The standard scenario is that
you extract a written promise from your boss, for "X." Then
you get transferred to a different group, or your division is
taken over by another one - so you have a new management chain.

"I didn't make the promise to you, your former boss did. That
was then, this is now. Sorry the promise is wothless." Except
usually they leave out the 'sorry' part.

Jim

In my case the promises weren't *my* demands but were offered out of the
blue. I had a decent job already and these promises were the only reason
I took the new job.
Randy