Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Default Interview for a machine shop position

I'm a garage hacker and have no idea or desire to achive that level of
tolerance. Just curious, can some machines do that just from knobs and
such or does it require more finesse?

Most people that claim to be holding those tolerances are full of crap. I'm
not pointing fingers at anybody, cause obviously it is needed for some
tools, and can be done. But, it cannot be done in a general shop environment
day in and day out.

I am presently a shop owner. Before I started my own shop, I ran one for my
boss. I've don interviews with tool makers that will tour the shop and say
they'll have no problems holding .00005. I've seen 2 types of people make
those claims. Type one actually THINKS he can hold that tolerance, and will
try to do it on every job that walks by. Even if +- .05 would do. You cannot
afford to hire that guy. He'll take 3 times longer to do any job than is
needed. Type two hasn't learned how to use a micrometer, and isn't capable
of counting decimal places. He's just trying to get a job and doesn't think
you'll notice that he doesn't have a clue.

Dave, who has NEVER held closer than .0002, and can't think of why he'd need
to.