Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Interview for a machine shop position

Mark sez:

" Bugger, I suppose that means I'm a toolmaker. And there I was thinking
that I
was a professional electrical engineer, who grew into and got burned out
by
computers and just wanted to make swarf as a hobby to keep his sanity."

Sorry about that - your having to switch from Prof. EE to swarf making as a
means to keep your sanity. The PC has done more to lower technical wages in
the world, and increase stress in the workplace, than anything that has come
along since Tesla. The problem is that anyone who can memorize the location
of a few plastic pads on a keyboard and run another's software is
"Engineer". No! That's not even the real problem. The real problem is
that employers are generally not engineering competent themselves and can't
tell an engineer from any other keyboard pecker. Thus, trained engineers
are held back because management, mostly keyboard peckers themselves, lacks
the technical sense to know the difference. It seems the MIS departments of
large companies are pretty much responsible for engineering decisions these
days. Don't even get me started on CNC! CNC proves what "management" has
long suspected - there is no need for technically trained personnel; they
can all be replaced by PC operators.

Bob Swinney

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:22:56 -0400, "Robin S."
wrote:

P.S. Signs of a toolmaker: heavy drinking habit, arrogance, vulgarity,
healthy distaste for engineers, constantly dirty snot, intolerance of
bright
lights, social ineptitude, inability to do any more than just less than
the
required amount of work to complete a job, nervous ticks, jumpiness,
partial/complete deafness, having the compulsion to stare blankly at
everyone passing by, etc.

Mark Rand
RTFM