Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

Default Rain Water Coming Down Chimneys

In article , Jim Alexander
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello All

Weird thing happened today, I came back from work and found globs of
rainwater in my dining room and in my lounge on the floors. This is the
first time I have ever experienced this in 2 years and it looks as
though water had been coming down the chimney after a heavy downpour
this afternoon. Should this happen, should there be something ontop of
the chimney to stop water ingress?

Never had water outside the fireplace, the hail stone suggestion is a good
suggestion. Ocassionally have had rain running down the flue after heavy
rain, fitted a cowl as I only used the stove occasionally and was concerned
about damp. There is a selection here.

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/co...aught.htm#1898

Chose the Euro Cowl mini which I think looks OK.

I'd agree that it's not usually a problem but if you're a happy roof walker then a
cheap cap will help, here's another example:
http://www.flues.co.uk/acatalog/Flue...Cowls_212.html
or he
https://vault1.secured-url.com/chimn..._Brewer_Birdgu
ards_130.html